[Advaita-l] Sastra's Ability To Remove Ignorance

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Mon Jun 18 11:41:56 CDT 2012

Dear
All this boils down to asthikyam.There should be Brahman -Athatha Brahma
Jingyasa:Begins Brahma Suthram.What does this mean?There is
Brahman -accepted-and let us analyse is the meaning.Nobody will analyse a
nonexisting thing.Similarly sastras have accepted vedic sayings and give
instructions as to what to do and what not to do.It is difficult to say
Brahman is this but easy to say this is not Brahman.Your question is how it
is acceptable without knowing positively what is Brahman.This is somewhat
similar to proof by employing a reasoning called reductio ad absurdum.You
assume something as correct but end up ina result which is absurd.So it is
proved that the assumption was wrong.Similar is this approach.Sastras derive
their inputs from vedas and observed phenomena and are positive that there
is Brahman.Brahman is anirvachaniya.So they employ this nethi nethi
principle on absurd conclusions.I hope I could throw some light on this
thinking process.R.Krishnamoorthy.