[Advaita-l] Question on Bodhayana and Upavarsha Vruttis of Brahma Sutras

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 13 06:55:14 CDT 2012

praNAms Sri Venkatesh Murthy prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Ramanuja is following Bodhayana Vrutti because he is saying that in
the Sri Bhashya. Then is it true Bodhayana Vrutti is agreeing with
Visistadvaita?

>  this question will be better answered by a vishishtAdvaitin.  And as
far as I know, it is vedAntadesikachAr who said that bOdAyana & upavarsha
are one and the same since rAmAnuja following bodhAyana vrutti in his
sribhAshya.

Is it correct to say Adi Sankara's Bhashya is following Upavarsha's
Vrutti? He may be Advaiti with some differences from Sankara Advaita.

>  shankara uses the honorific 'bhagavAn' while addressing upavarsha in
sUtra bhAshya (3rd AdhyAya??) But we cannot say whether shankara has used
upavarsha's vrutti as the source material for his shAreeraka meemAmsa.

The Visisitadvaitis may be trying to show Bodhayana and Upavarsha are
the same. Their goal is to show Advaita Bhashya will not have support
of any earlier Vrutti.

>  We can infer that shankara while refuting vruttikAra mata, he may be
refuting the bOdhAyana vrutti.  this vruttikAra 'bhagavAn' upavarsha must
have been a very ancient teacher earlier than even shabaraswami who wrote
bhAshya on jaiminisUtra-s wherein he mentions the name of 'bhagavan'
upavarsha but does not say anything about the alternative name of
upavarsha as bOdhAyana.

>  Please note I've read something about all these details in advaita-l
website under the tag pre-shankara advaita Acharya-s or in Sri SSS's
Kannada book on vedAnta vichArada itihAsa or Prof. Ranganath's book
'advaita Acharyas'.  Not sure of the source.  Sri Vidya prabhuji may throw
some light on this issue.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar