[Advaita-l] Cotard Syndrome and Brahman Realisation

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:04:49 CDT 2012

When I say the sukshuma sarira survives death and functions "normally", I obviously don't say it continues to control sthula sarira. By normal functioning I mean the sense if self (ahankara), taking decisions (buddhi), feeling (manas) and seeing etc. (indriyas). According to mainstream modern science, there is no sukshuma sarira. The sense of the self etc. are products of the brain function. Roger Penrose accepts this position but argues that brain function has to be understood using new higher order mathematics because it is complex. Ian Stevenson and his successor challenge this position by documenting cases of reincarnation. They are also offering theories physical mechanisms by which the personality (read sthula sarira) can survive death. I am all for a healthy dose of scientific scepticism but if living beings have two parts (gross and subtle) to it, I would like scientific research to focus on both.

The question is not about the attitude of the jnani. We are talking about a situation where he has become insane after attaining jnanam. His manas and buddhi have lost their concentration and discrimination. With what does the jnani see in a detached manner?