[Advaita-l] Are Vedic Characters and events fictitious?

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 04:34:41 CDT 2012

It strengthens the position that shruti is handed down through oral tradition from the time of creation. The historicity is secondary. If real Nachiket lived and followed the script, great. We don't have evidence for historical Nachiket. If not he exists forever in the shruti mantra for which we have evidence.

There is an argument of kalpa bheda to explain the differences. If it is so,  who remembered the stories from different kalpa? If we say it is Brahma, then we go to the same (correct) theory that entire vedas was revealed to him including the variant readings at the time of creation.

Needless to say that this does not apply to literature that were written based on Vedas.

Best Regards
Rajaram Venkataramani