[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 00:07:07 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM, ravi chandrasekhara <vadhula at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear All,

> mentioned by Kanchi Paramacharya (including terms as Europeans, Panchamas,
> etc); Mahabharata mentions tribals, one of the Alwars in SriVaishnava
> tradition was a Panchama, ManuSmriti also lists it. I remember asking Shri
> Anand Hudli on this list on how to do Navaratri Puja and he provided
> reference from Dharma Sindhu based on varna and those outside of
> chaturvarna on how to perform puja. Also by looking at horoscope it may be
> that father and son's varna are different and also may not reflect one's
> perceived guna or actual guna for that matter. The SriVaishnava alwars were
> in many ways "more dharmic" than Rishis based on events. This is not be
> offensive to Rishis as there was probably a purpose behind certain acts.
> Despite that,alwars without adhikara did not transgress varna dharma and
> they had sattvik guna. 2.I found these links useful to the current
>  discussion: www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/jul98/0043.html
> andwww.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/jul98/0044.html
>

> 3.Now Jaldhar had mentioned that not all Hindus are saints and not all
> Westerners are monsters if we were to by the misbelief that Brahmin = Good
> and Non-Brahmin=Bad. My question is that why based on prior karmas with
> predominance of Sattvik guna leads to a Braahmana janma and yet a person
> may not only live up the ideals of varna but may depict actions that are
> contrary to it. Is there an Advaitic explanation ?
>
> Dhanyavaad,
> Ravi Chandrasekhara

Dear Ravi,

This brings up the question of vasanas.  One can never predict what vasanas
are lurking in the subconscious level and when they will attack a person.

 http://sriramanujar.tripod.com/thondaradippodi.html<http://sriramanujar.tripod.com/thondaradippodi.html>

Even though a person has taken a brahmana janma, which is itself karma
phala alone, still it can so happen that owing to an overpowering latent
tendency, vasana, one can be compelled to behave in a way that is
unbecoming of his varNa.  The Bh.Gita 3rd chapter says: indriyANi,
manobuddhiH asya (kAma/krodhasya) adhiShThAnam uchyate...the senses, mind
and intellect are the abodes where kAma and krodha reside.  One must
exercise extreme care with these.  Shankara has said: sunimpuNAnAmapi
sUkShmAparAdhadarshanAt - even with respect to very careful persons one can
see subtle lapses.  'na kashchit nAparAdhyati'  (in ramayana)? it means: no
one is free from defect. न कश्चिन्नापराध्यति. Na kashchinnaaparaadhyati. To
err is human, there is none who has not erred some time or other.

regards
subrahmanian.v