[Advaita-l] mleccha-s not eligible to take Hinduism??

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:43:23 CDT 2012

I concur with Sri Vidyasankar on this except for the presumption that Sri Shivashankar's guru may not have a plausible answer. (And this is not part of equanimity 101 :))

We have to clearly distinguish between varna and jati. At the time of creation, there were four varnas and hence four jatis. But due to rise of desire people gave up varnashrama dharma leading to the creation of the fifth class who fell out side the created four. Also, the inter-mingling between varnas created new jatis, which belonged to one of four varnas or the fifth. Whether a jati belonged to a varna or not is determined by the guna which in turn decides karma. The guna and karma of the jati is in turn decided by the guna and karma of the individuals who make up the jati. We can determine the guna and hence varna of individuals astrologically. It is therefore possible for a guru to make an exception for an individual on the basis of his guna. Jatis  have moved through varna layers and individuals were exempted also. Bhishma, who did not know the parentage of Karna, reserved him to take the commander-in-chief role on the basis of his kshatriya guna only. Guha, though he belonged to fishermen jati, was actually a kshatriya. Nanda, though he belonged to farming community, was actually a kshatriya.

Out of the 423 rishis in the vedic anukramani, 23 are women. Interesting there is no apastriadhikarana and Sita is said to have had upanayanam and this practice was present as recently as Gupta period as archaelogical evidences reveal.