[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 14:39:27 CDT 2012

That is okay. But we have to take a position on the date of origin of the opinion that Vedas are paureshya. I have no problem in with the traditional view point that Jaimini lived around 25 BCE. That would mean that the paureshya view is equally old because Jaimini refutes it. Paureshya view might have orally existed for a long time along side the apaureshya view but the literary evidence for it is no earlier than 8 BCE.

In any case, what is important is the force of the argument in favour of apaureshyatvam not just its antiquity. There are oral traditions among native Americans, Africans, Iranians and early Europeans. Unlike other beliefs, in vaidhika marga it is not faith in a personality that is central as it depends on sabda pramana which is apaureshya.