[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jan 31 05:56:06 CST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Kalyan K wrote:

> With all due respect Vidyasankarji, I think this discussion should not
> be closed.  What if the same topic is started in another thread? threads
> can be closed in this manner?

If Venkatesh (or for that matter any list member) continues this
fact-free blathering on subjects clearly not understood with imprecise and
often inflammatory language then they will be placed on
moderation or expelled.  End of problem.

> Instead, I think Sri Venkatesh should
> be asked to provide references for everything he writes.

Which he has been asked from day one.  I understand that not everyone is
an accomplished scholar in shastras.  That is not necessary to participate
in advaita-l.  But we can safely demand that participants follow basic
norms of rational debate.  This is not a private soapbox to spew out any
notion which might enter ones skull.

> I know that you
> have already done this before, without much success, but perhaps he should
> be given another chance to state his central thesis and provide references
> (from any bhAshyas, scriptures or published works) to back up his claims.
> Let the members not respond to his messanges if no references are provided.
> Then the thread will die automatically.

If we are not mature enough to control our own thoughts and speech its a
sign we shouldn't be involved in Advaita Vedanta at all.  It is not anyone
elses job to babysit.