[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 22:33:57 CST 2012

Namaste Sri Kalyan

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Kalyan K <kalyankc.81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Venkateshji, suppose I am a dvaitin who is debating with you on vedanta.
> You tell me your position that everything is brahman. I ask you the
> following question - If everything is brahman, then why I am perceiving
> multiplicity in the world? I will say that the advaita philosophy that you
> propound directly contradicts my experience. I will also say that I cannot
> be brahman because brahman is free from all blemishes and sufferings while
> I regularly suffer from misfortunes.
I am saying Maya and Avidya theory is not necessary. If you are seeing
multiplicity of the world. You are not wrong. Your Jnana is
incomplete. You don't have Ajnana called as Ignorance. You are not
seeing the entire picture but a part of it. The entire picture is
Brahman is the base and World is the reflection. But you are seeing
the World reflection only. When you do Brahman Upasana you will see
the entire picture. The Sruti is saying to you Tattvamasi You are
That. You are Brahman but you are not realizing it. You are saying you
are suffering from misfortunes. Here also you have incomplete picture.
That is why you are suffering. You are Brahman. You cannot suffer. The
suffering is happening to your reflection. You are standing in front
of a mirror and someone scratches the mirror. You are thinking there
is a scratch on the face. But the scratch is only for the reflection.
The face is not scratched.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh