[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Kalyan K kalyankc.81 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 21:12:17 CST 2012

Dear Sri Subramanian,

>>* Namaste*>>**>>* There is a third way also. Adi Sankara has sanctioned Sagunopasana in*>>* some places. We can start with Sagunopasana and move to Nirgunopasana*>>* keeping Mayavada away.*>>**
>The above has no basis in the shAstram.  'Moving' to Nirgunopasana is
>impossible without negating the guNas earlier meditated upon.  This
>negation is not achieved without resorting to mAyA/mithyAtva.  Adi
>Shankara's recommending saguNopasana is not at the cost of jettisoning
>mithyAtvanishchayaH of the guNa-s/saguNabrahman.

I do not exactly understand what you are suggesting above, but I think it
would be incorrect to say that saguNopAsana does not lead to moksha. I also
feel that while the concepts of mAya etc. are definitely necessary to
explain advaita (from a logical point of view), the necessity of these
concepts for a sAdhaka is debatable.

Regards
Kalyan