[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:01:34 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Namaste
>
> There is a third way also. Adi Sankara has sanctioned Sagunopasana in
> some places. We can start with Sagunopasana and move to Nirgunopasana
> keeping Mayavada away.

The above has no basis in the shAstram.  'Moving' to Nirgunopasana is
impossible without negating the guNas earlier meditated upon.  This
negation is not achieved without resorting to mAyA/mithyAtva.  Adi
Shankara's recommending saguNopasana is not at the cost of jettisoning
mithyAtvanishchayaH of the guNa-s/saguNabrahman.

> Mayavada is like playing in dirty water and afterwards washing feet
> with clean water. Only children and immature people will like to have fun
> playing like this. Mature people can meditate on Brahman.
>
> People become 'mature' only after passing through saguNa bhakti through
karma yoga/upasana.  About the mAyic nature of saguNa braman the Lord has
Himself said this:

Shankara quotes in the sutra bhashya  a verse of Vyasa from the
Vishnupuranam (?) or Mahabharatha :

माया ह्येषा मया सृष्टा यन्मां पश्यसि नारद ।
सर्वभूतगुणैर्युक्तं मैवं मां ज्ञातुमर्हसि ॥

[Showing His vishwarupa to Narada He says:  This is My form created by Me
out of Maya.  You aught not to know Me as endowed with all this.]  The
message is:  In My absolute Nature I am devoid of any of these forms.  And
these forms include all the forms of gods, humans, etc. None of these is
Brahman.

subrahmanian.v