[Advaita-l] Holenarsipur Swamiji's remarks and why even Avidya is not necessary for Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:04:03 CST 2012

Namaste Sri Subrahmanian Sri Bhaskar and others

You are saying the person saying Maya is not necessary for
understanding Advaita is a Asampradayavit. He is not following Sankara
Sampradaya.

Who is Sampradayavit? Who is Asampradayavit? If you say Padmapada is
Sampradayavit I can say no. If you say Vachaspati Mishra is
Sampradayavit I can say no. Why? Because Padmapada is bringing new
concepts into Adi Sankara's teachings. Holenarsipur Swami has written
Padmapada brought in Positive Objective Avidya called as Bhava Rupa
Avidya but Adi Sankara never said that. He never said there is a
Avidya Cause for Adhyasa. He never said there is Anirvachaniya thing
like Sadasadvilakshana.

Vachaspati Mishra brought in things from Mandana Mishra's teachings
into Adi Sankara's teachings. Mandana Mishra is not from Adi Sankara
Sampradaya but different.

In the book How to Recognize the Method of Vedanta page 100
Holenarsipur Swamiji -
'The first of such defenders of Sankara was Vachaspati, whose
sub-commentary the Bhamati inaugurates a version of Sankara's system
widely different from the one presented by the Panchapadika for
instead of staking his all on the objective Avidya he tries to graft
Mandana's views on Sankara's system insofar as that is feasible, but
indirectly accedes to the opinion of the objective-avidya school while
keeping his fidelity to Sankara's Adhyasa doctrine also. In fact, this
Mishra's Advaita is an amalgam of the thoughts of all the three
systems. This he walks close on the heels of Mandana insofar as the
latter's system postulates two Avidyas - cause and effect - both
declared to Anirvachaniya.'

He is arguing two Avidyas the Cause Avidya and Effect Avidya are not
necessary. We have to accept only one Avidya. This is Adhyasa. And it
is not Bhava Rupa Avidya. There is no such thing Anirvachaniya in
Sankara Sampradaya but was brought in by Padmapada and Vachaspati
Mishra.

But we have to see Advaita can be explained using Sagunopasana. Then
we will not even need Avidya at all. Everything is Sat. But we are not
seeing it now. Doing Sagunopasana we can see He is there in
everything. Then we can do Nirgunopasana and realize Sarvam Khalvidam
Brahma. In this line of thinking there is no requirement for Avidya or
Mayavada. Mayavada is a negative approach but the Upasana approach is
Positive Approach. Ramanuja was correct to focus on  Brahman Upasana
but he brought in Acit and Cit. This is not necessary because then we
will not have pure Advaita. There will be three things. Brahman, Cit
and Acit. This is not Upanishad teaching.

We have learn to take the good points from Gurus and follow the correct path.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh