[Advaita-l] Is the concept of maya essential to explain advaita?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jan 25 00:02:25 CST 2012

Namaste

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I am showing that Maya is not supported by Adi Sankara below.

>  partial or selective reading of the prasthAna traya does not serve any
purpose.

Adi Sankara is not agreeing with Gaudapada regarding world and dream.

>  He does agree with Sri gaudapAda in mAndUkya & kArikA bhAshya at a
different context and revered his mAhAguru as 'saMpradAyavida'.

Gaudapada is saying objects in waking are like dream objects. But Adi
Sankara has disagreed in Sutra Bhashya. He is saying the objects in waking
are real but not imaginary objects like the dream objects.

>  Yes, shankara upholds the waking world reality over dream world at some
places in sUtra bhAshya while refuting the buddhist vijnAnavAda, for
example 2-2-29, 30, 31 etc.  But same shankara under a different context
in bruhadAraNyaka, mAdUkya, kArika bhAshya agrees that there is no
'special' difference between these two avasthA-s.  (tathA prajnAna
vyatirekeNa jAgrat svapnayOH na kashchit visheshO gruhyate.  shruti also
attributes equal rites to both waking & dreaming, saptAnga ekO na viMshati
mukhaH.  And itareya too says tasya traya avasthAH trayaH svapnAH.

Kindly see the Journal of Indian Philosophy June 1996  paper by Srinivasa
Rao-

>  prabhuji, it is really surprising to see the references you are
providing to substantiate your claims.  Despite asking you several times
for the relevant quotes from genuine advaita works, you are simply quoting
one of the numerous articles on advaita written by someone.  I am sorry, I
dont know who is this Sri Srinivasa Rao and his credentials in advaita
saMpradAya.  So, I dont have to blindly accept whatever he says about
shankara vedAnta.

There is no place for Maya in Advaita but only use may be to confuse
others in arguments. It is not necessary for serious study of Advaita.

> Again sorry to say this, I am realizing more clearly now, why Sri Vidya
prabhuji had taken the decision to put an end to these useless discussion.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar