[Advaita-l] Bhakthi and Jnana.

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:04:44 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Srikanta Narayanaswami <
srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pranams
> With reference to the above topic and madhusudhana Saraswathi's
> commentary,I would like to know where in the Upanishads the relevance of
> Bhakthi is discussed?
> N.Srikanta.
> My question was where in the Upanishads considered as pinnacle of Vedas,is
> the  relevance of Bhakthi as an aid to Jnana is discussed.?.
> N.Srikanta.

The use of bhakti as an essential aid to jnana is easy to establish using
the upanishads. It is a matter of sitting with a traditional scholar and
getting a knowledge dump. Here is a sample

yasya deve para bhaktir
yatha-deve tatha gurau
tasyaite kathita hy arthah
prakashante mahatmanah (Sv. Up. 6.38)

The challenge will be in establishing bhakti rasa but not impossible (rf.
Sri Sriram Venkat post on raso vai sa:).