[Advaita-l] Bhakti and Jnana

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 03:35:00 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nowhere is Madhusudana saying that the druta mana is eternal. The rest of
> the conclusions are based on that incorrect assumption.

Rajaram, just yesterday you said this in reply to Sri Jaldhar's post:

//Also, Madhusudana has stated why it is eternal as I said in my quote
earlier that it is because bhakti rasa is non-different from bhagavat being
His reflection in the druta mana (melted mind).//

It is this input from you that forms the basis of my latest post.  It is
clear from your own statement that MS holds bhakti rasa to be eternal since
it is Bhgavan's reflection in the druta manaH (melted mind).  I think this
statement of yours is not beyond normal comprehension.  I have only pointed
out, in the Advaitic context,  what would be the consequence of admitting a
drutam manaH in order to maintain the eternality of bhakti rasa.  It is
clear from your input that if bhakti rasa is to be eternal it has to be
contained in the drutam manaH which too has to be eternal.  No manas, no
bhakti rasa.  This is the anvaya-vyatireka involved here.

Bhakti rasa is non-different from Brahman/Ishwara

It (bhakti rasa) is reflected in drutam manaH

That is as good as saying: Ishwara/Brahman is reflected in the drutam manaH.

Of course, other questions too arise as to what is meant by 'drutam manaH'
by MS? How is it different from a 'kaThinam manaH' (the opposite of drutam,
melted, is kaThinam, solid.).   When does the latter mind get transformed
into the former? and so on.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v