[Advaita-l] Accepting Possibility of Error in Sastras

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 12:07:26 CST 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <
svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Even if you find some Sruti reference that is seemingly contradicted by
> today's scientific knowledge,
> there are other ways to understand the Sruti vAkya, which will bypass the
> apparent contradiction. To
> be more specific, the adhidaiva and adhyAtmika levels of meaning in Sruti
> can never be contradicted by
> science. Maybe the adhibhautika meaning may come into conflict here and
> there, but I'm not particularly
> aware of any such feature in Sruti.

RV:

1. I would like to know if you consider the creationist model in purusha
suktam as conflicting with scientific view of how universe and life came
about. Let us say, hypothetically, that a shruti vakya is contradicted by
scientific discoveries, what should be taken as true?
2. When Madhusudana talks about shastras reflecting the delusion of people,
he is not isolating smrti shastras but also including shruti as he is
talking about jivEshwara bheda. I do not know if you are justified in
insulating shruti vakyas potential defects.