[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 16:30:14 CDT 2012

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://dooid.com/lalitaalaalitah>*

2012/8/22 Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com>

> svAnubhUtirasAveSAd dRSya-SabdAv upekshya tu | nirvikalpas samAdhis syAn
> nivAta-sthita dIpavat ||
>
> Compare with pancadaSI Slokas quoted below by you regarding the samAdhi of
> the citta that is steady like
> the flame (dIpa) that is sheltered from the wind (ni/nir-vAta). What is
> merely called samAdhi in one text is
> specifically qualified as nirvikalpa in another text by the same author(s).

There is no mention of neglection of dhyAtR^i and dhyAna here. Only
Alambana of upAsanA is neglected here. These things make very big
difference.

> Furthermore, the mere usage of
> the term "nirvikalpa samAdhi" does not a neo-vedAntin make,

I didn't expect it from you at least.
This is what I said :

*I don't say that nirvikalpaka-samAdhi is never talked in vedAnta-books. It
is actually helpful means to control viparIta-bhAvanA and hence is
practiced by all.
I just mean to say that the knowledge which is termed nirvikalpaka and
means of moxa is not same as the nirvikalpaka-samAdhi or the Atman shining
in that state.
I'll also like to add that such nirvikalpaka-GYAnam of brahma actually
doesn't need nirvikalpaka-samAdhi to gain birth.*

I think it will help you understand my position.