[Advaita-l] Date of Birth of Adi Shankaracharya

Bishwa Prakash Subedi bpsubedi at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 02:23:10 CDT 2012

Dear viji sridhar,

Namaskar.

I read your contention on the date of respected Adi Shankaracharya's birth that his birth date seems to be 509 BC not 780 AD. I along with the other advaitists of this parampara would have no problem if this hypothesis is proved although being this or that date in fact does not effectively make any difference in terms of his reputation, authority and what not.

With regard to ascertaining his birth date, much has been written and intellectual and other types of debates are going endlessly. Your attempt to bring use of a scientfic instrument and method, though not sufficiently convincing and scientfic, is laudable. This may encourage the researchers to carry out further studies with solid, 'beyond reasonable doubt' evidence, contentions/logics along with the use of scientfic methods and instrumentalities. Otherwise, mere ascertainments based on intuition and hunch, half-baked logic and not basing on acceptable scientfic methods may not help and, rather, hinder or harm to our intention of establishing the date of birth of our revered acharya.

With regards,
Bishwa Prakash Subedi
Kathmandu