[Advaita-l] Gudharthadipika of Madhusudana Sarasvati

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Sat Aug 18 13:55:37 CDT 2012

Namaste Subbuji,
//
>From all this we can say that the Veda itself has the three-fold upAya consisting of karma, bhakti and jnanam for moksha. All these are to betaken as One and not each as a separate upAya for moksha.
//
I think sAdhu nishchala das differs a bit in vichara sagaram.
He shies away equating karma, bhakti & jnana on equal platformand says that karma & bhakti are jnAnOpAyAs and "not mOkshOpAyAs".
There are 3 doshAs viz., mala, chitta chAnchalya (as vikshEpa) & AvaraNa. Nischala Das says that through nishkAma karma, the mala is destroyed; through upAsana / bhakti, chitta shuddhi & EkAgrata is achieved.
Thus, the sAdhaka becomes fit to receive the upadesa through shravaNa.  The third dosha is removed only throughshravaNa, manana etc.
Thus, for him, karma & bhakti are angAs ofjnAna and jnAna is the angi of these two. Thus, angAngi bhAvana is established between these 3.
regs,sriram