[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:01:26 CDT 2012

It is not as if Sankara bhagavatpAda accepts or rejects something because of a
bias towards another way of thinking. Rather, it should become clear to you that
what is generally known as sAMkhya and what is generally known as yoga are
not exactly the same as what is meant in the SvetASvataropanishat. To think
that the "direct" meaning of sAMkhya and yoga in the upanishat text is exactly
the same as what is/was popularly understood by those two words is not right.

Please read the following links to postings made by me to the list five years ago,
called Yoga and Advaita Vedanta. Hopefully, you will get a better grasp of what
Adi Sankara's perspective is. I also hope that you will read through all of them
thoroughly, before asking questions or making comments.

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-September/017502.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-September/017515.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-September/017556.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017613.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017615.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017689.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017708.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017713.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017719.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/017733.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-November/017872.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-December/017958.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2007-January/018003.html

If I remember right, the link above from January 2007 is the last in the above
series. I had intended to continue with a few more postings in that thread,
but didn't, for various reasons.

Vidyasankar