[Advaita-l] Vegetarianism

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:17:56 CDT 2012

2012/4/18 श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com>

> *श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com/>
> lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*
>

> I just said that eating meat has basis in smR^iti-s and killing animals at
> places is supported by both veda-s and smR^iti-s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Brahmin_diet

//

>From the Vedic age up to the earlier times of the Dharma
sutras<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalpa_%28Vedanga%29>,
the four varnas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varna_%28Hinduism%29> had no
difference regarding their food and conduct. All varnas had similar food
habits, and both vegetarianism and non-vegetarianism were very
popular.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Brahmin_diet#cite_note-food-0>

South Indian Brahmins during the *sutra* period, like those of North India
were meat eaters.[7]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Brahmin_diet#cite_note-tamil-6>
*Kapilar*(Puṟanāṉūṟu<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu%E1%B9%9Fan%C4%81%E1%B9%89%C5%AB%E1%B9%9Fu>,
poems 113,119), a Brahmin poet in ancient Tamil
Country<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangam_period>,
says:
 “ ..*My hands have become soft because they do know of no harder work than
eating rice and meat boiled with tamarind. The sweet smell of its smoke
might counteract the smell of the pieces of
meat*.[7]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Brahmin_diet#cite_note-tamil-6>
”

 subrahmanian.v