[Advaita-l] vedAnta/upanishad mahAvAkya - a query

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 11:46:23 CDT 2012

Bhaskarji - PraNAms

mahaavakya is that which shows the identity of the jiivaatma and paramaatma which is directly evident by vaachyaartha but becomes evident with lakshyaartha - provided it is done methodically. They are akhanDa ekaartha bodhaka vaakyams. They are not just equations but identity equations - in math we put three lines to indicate that - provided we remove distracting superficial superimpositions using bhaaga tyaaga lakshaNa.

There are many statements in the Vedanta which directly or indirectly provide the identity relation and therefore are many mahaavakyaas. The four that are provided are crisp and sample mahavaakyaas, one from each Veda -  to show samanvayam or self-consistency in the teaching.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

-

Pardon my ignorance.  Whenever I hear the words 'upanishat mahAvAkya' I
would get the doubt, what exactly is this mahAvAkya??  how can we conclude
that  there are ONLY four mahA vAkya-s in the whole cannon of vedAnta??