[Advaita-l] About the term in 'Ishwara' in Advaita - a brief note

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:57:19 CDT 2012

Bhaskar ji,

I think there is no niyama that the jnani's dRShTi has to be that way alone
as you have said.  Shankara has also said, for example, in the BGB 2.16:
Arjuna, you too, following the dRShTi of the Tattvavits, consider the
transformations in life as mirage water, asadeva sadiva avabhAsate. (the
asat alone appears to be sat) In the BGB 13th chapter too Shankara says
this. And as you know very well, the BGB verses on 'guNaa guNeshu vartante
iti matvA na sajjate', 'indriyANi indriyArtheShu vartanta iti
dhArayan...'.  No doubt he has the sarvAtma bhAva which is not at all
denied, and which is the mark of his liberation.  Shankara has also said
the same in the brahmArpaNam brahma haviH commentary: that which is rajatam
is shuktiH alone.

Regards,
subbu