[Advaita-l] Back to Basics (was Pitru paksha questions)

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 23:13:54 CDT 2011

Hari Om, Shyamji,

I hope that your reply to my mail was only incidental, since I'm inline with
you, in that, the preparation for gaining j~nAna starts only with
nitya-naimittika karma as a foundation. That being dharma, it helps in
securing shadsampatti, causing viveka-driven vairAgya and mumukshutva, a
ground for sarva-karma-sannyAsa. Only sannyAsa ashrama allows dropping the
nitya-naimittika karma, else its verily adharma.

(PS: As an aside, although its a good practice to clip source mail content
down to focus of reply even on lists hosted on common/public servers such as
Yahoo & Google, its quite necessary for this list as it is hosted &
maintained by admins themselves.)

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Shyam <shyam_md at yahoo.com> wrote:

> .....and a million aham brahmasmis vrttis will fail to secure even a flash
> of a foothold unless one goes back to the basics...of securing a more
> pristine mind - by cultivation of shadsampatti...shama dama uparati titiksha
> etc etc and for the latter there is one and only one manner -
> karmayoga...upasana..a life of dharma..and that does include as a major
> centerpiece adherence to nitya-naimittika karmas.

Hence the need for a backtrack to the basics.