[Advaita-l] Difference between Sankhya and Advaita.

Srikanta Narayanaswami srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 08:00:38 CDT 2011

This Kundalini is like a serpent which is furious if  the dormant power is not streamlined without controlling its power.This can also be known from the Yoga shastra,from the practical part of it"

Not necessary. Patanjali's yoga neither mentions Kundalini nor is centered around it. Patanjali's yoga is best termed Laya Yoga, which aims at dissolving the dhyAna-dhyAtr-dhyeya triple (essentially dissolving mind in the object of contemplation). Kundalini or Mantra or Hatha there could be several mArga-s based on ashTAnga/shadanga, but they remain non-central to pAtanjala darsana. I do not also think pAtanjala is the "theory" part whose practice part is kundalini. In fact pAtanjala is itself called the practice part of sAnkhya.

Shankar
I would like to know the following :
Patanjali's Yoga darshana contains not only the various padas,but also the explanation of them.You have to refer to the various commentaries on it,Vyasa bhashya.It is not necessary that the Yoga sutra mention by the vary word.What we have now on Patanjali yoga sutras are only aphorisms.There is a wider reference or books which mention of the kundalini.I suggest that you refer to some old books.I have seen one published by the Theosophical society.It may be referred in some Oriental library also.The existence of Kundalini and the chakras
are very much true.
N.Srikanta.