[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Veda

Omkar Deshpande omkar_deshpande at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 14:02:57 CDT 2011

Namaskara,

<<<In fact, this approach creates the
problem that I have ended up subordinating the authority of my scripture to the
strength of the logic that I have used to prove the existence of a creator God.
When human beings change their thinking to reject the logic used in a previous
era, that threatens the authority of scripture in a very basic and fundamental
way.>>>

How does apauruSheyatva avoid this problem? Because one still has to subordinate the authority of the scripture to the strength of the logic used to prove that my scripture is apauruSheya, and when human beings change their thinking to rely more on the logic used in modern historical analysis, that also threatens the authority of my scripture in a basic way. So what advantage does apauruSheyatva offer over a system that first argues for a creator God or some special power in a human being?

<<<the mImAMsaka notes that all the others are still quite dependent on an assertion of the special-ness of particular human beings... After all, even if a given scripture is to be accepted as the composition of a special creator God, the nature of the transmission of the
said scripture to human beings via one or more special messengers still remains
unexplained. It is a matter of belief in particular human beings, pure and simple.>>>

Modern science has argued that the earth has an origin if we go back about 4.6 billion years. Even setting aside evolutionary theory (which would restrict the existence of 'humans' on earth to within the last 5-7 million years), for any scripture to be maintained as eternal, one would still need to invoke some special supernatural way by which the scripture existed prior to the existence of humans, or prior to the existence of the earth, and how it originally got transmitted to human beings. Such explanations would still be needed to uphold apauruSheyatva, and that would require faith too, if I'm not wrong.

Regards,

Omkar