[Advaita-l] sabda nityatva vAda...a query

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 15:28:06 CDT 2011

Dear Sri Raghav Kumar ji

Pl allow me to clarify. Shankaracharya condemns sphota vada; Bhartrihari is the foremost exponent of sphota vada. So, the basic position is that Sankara condemns Bhartrihari; but I heard my teacher say that it - Sabadabrahma - can be seen as a particular presentation of Brahman; the condemnation by Sankara is to prevent other particular presentations like Rasabrahma, Rupabrahma etc.

Earlier Sri Shankara Bharadwaj Khandavelli wrote saying that the distinguishing feature of Advaita is the vivarta-vada and actually mentioned that it is the only darSana which uses this vivarta-vada. Sphota theory also uses vivartavada: There is one primordial, eternal Sabdabrahma which manifests as different words. In that, the resemblance between Advaita and sphotavada is close.

Curiously the grammarians say that varnas and padas are unreal, mere scaffolding which needs to be dispensed with once vaakyaarthabodha is realised. This is in contrast to the Mimamsakas who view the pada and its components, mainly the pratyayas which denote duty, action etc. as important. Thus we have the pada-sastra (Vyakaranam) saying pada is unreal; and the vakya-sastra (mimamsa) saying pada and pratyayas in that are the most important elements. This juxtaposition of sphota against purva-mimamsa is often encountered. The meaning of the title Vakya-padiya is actually 'concerning the word and sentence'. Kumarila often criticises the views of Bhartrihari in his Sloka Vartika and Tantra Vartika (glosses on the Bhashya of Sabara on the sutras of Jaimini).

Sabda-nityattva is mentioned in Nirukta and implicit in the AshTaadhyaayi going by the very first vartika - "siddhe Sabdaarthasambandhe...". When Sankara mentions Panini acharya as an example of a Sastra-pravartaka knowing more than what he says (in the bhashya on Saastrayonitvaat), the reference is to the fact that along with the prakriya - nuts and bolts of grammar - Panini has incorporated philosophy in the sutras. That philosophy has been drawn out by the Bhashyakara, Patanjali and dealt with in a systematic manner by Bhartrihari.

Amidst all this, it is notable that Bhartrihari does not deal with the paraa-aspect of Vaak. This led some to state that he believed in only 3 phases of Vaak; others say that such is not the case, as he does not deny the paraa-aspect. I am not very sure about the theories advanced as to why he does not deal with that, but the tradition of Nirukta and Vyakarana indeed talks about four aspects of Vaak.

There is actually a short work called Sphotasiddhi by Mandana Mishra defending sphotavada against Kumarila Bhatta's criticism.

To paint a picture with broad strokes, it looks like most arguments against purva-mimamsa and nyaya were first given by Bhartrihari, just like Kumarila has done most of the work required to refute Bauddham, preparing the ground for Sankara to present a tight and complete argument to establish the true interpretation of Vedanta.

Sphotavada later led to the Dhavani theory in Alankara Sastra. Thus the concept of sphota is met with, in the second millenium after Christ, more in Alankara Sastra (where Dhvani is so influential that all later works are set in relation to Dhvanyaloka) rather than in Philosophical works, may be because most of its tenets seem to have been absorbed in Vedanta, or may be because by that time Vedanta and Nyaya were the only two competing Darsanas.

Vacaspati Misra who wrote on all Darsanas seems to have left sphota alone; but Nagesa Bhatta (another acharya who wrote on all Darsanas) has indeed touched upon this in his super-commentary Udyota on the Pradipa (by KaiyaTa) on the Mahabhashya, which in turn is a commentary on the AshTaadhyaayI and Vartikas on that.

To conclude, shota-siddhanta is indeed expressly condemned by Sankaraacharya, but it might be the closer to Advaita, than the other five traditional Darsanas, so much so that some treat it as a particular presentation of Advaita itself.

Finally, this topic is something on which I am less than sure-footed and welcome corrections. I would not have posted but for the mention of my name in your post.

Regards
Senani