[Advaita-l] Nitya Karma question

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 00:01:40 CDT 2011

Namaste

It is good to know that you agree with one aspect of what Shankara says with
regards to non-performance of nityakarma, regardless of how you or I prefer
to couch it. One more point to clarify:

You mentioned: kAmya and prAyashchitta have specific results. So, they can't
result in achievement of pitR^iloka. Moreover, what I said above was said by
Anandagiri himself.

KK: It still does not refute my earlier position. The point in question is
whether the reference to Karma could be generic and not confining itself to
nityakarma only. Unless you can show me shruti pramana that karma means ONLY
nityakarma excluding other karmas (both laukika and vaidika/shastrokta). If
we are unable to find shruti support, then you cannot use that passage (i.e.
karmaNA pitR^ilokaH) from Brhadaranyaka Upanishad to support your cause.