[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:21:55 CST 2011

Namaste

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM, ravi chandrasekhara <vadhula at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Vidya,
>
> Before you close the thread, I have some questions based on points below.
>
> 1.V Sri Ram posted on this list as to the prohibitions in Kali Yuga as mentioned in Niranya-Sindhu, which includes prohibition on go-medha.
> 2.The yagna is to promote conception of a son well versed in Veda. Adi Shankaracharya's bhashya on Br.U. refer to meat from a bull/ox without any substitute.
> 3.That yagna is also not obligatory.
> 4.That type of yagna has been performed before.
> 5.Adi Shankara, from what I understand, is not mandating that yagna. He is only stating what that yagna refers to.
> 6.Hence, based on point 5, there should be no conflict with Niranya-Sindhu or shista-achara.
> Is that correct ?

No. What happens if a man wants to have a learned son and wants to
follow the ritual in Point 2. He must substitute by vegetarian diet.
He must take indirect meaning of Sankara Bhashya. Adi Sankara has
agreed we have to consider Desha and Kala Dharma not blindly follow
his Bhashya like sheep. Even though Adi Sankara said Bull meat but in
today's circumstance we must not follow it.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh