[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 13:34:11 CST 2011

Obviously the particular meat was recommended for consumption by the expectant mother solely for better nutrition. What Manu writes is that before eating (any permissible) meat it has to be consecrated. However  he has not given the details of the consecration process. The process I read in one book long ago is to dedicate the meat to Lord Vishnu in his  Mrigendra roopa before the partaking (or is it the cooking) of the meat. I have seen some cook offering a small portion of the cooked meat  to the fire, before the people are allowed to take that. You may be familiar with the terms "Kravyavahi" Agni and the "Havyavahi" Agni as well as of the way the former is sent away in the beginning of a Homa / Havana. It is quite possible that such procedure could have been followed in the ancient times. May be some other members may have more information of it. .