[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

vadhula at yahoo.com vadhula at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 09:08:14 CST 2011

Dear All,

Kanchi Paramacharya in the book Hindu Dharma stated cow sacrifice was done but not like Westerners describe as to eat steak, etc. He also said cow sacrifice is nishedha in Kali yuga. I have heard animal sacrifice is shastrically accepted and is exempt from dosha of animal's death and so of animal evolves higher.

A separate issue is mamsa bhakshanam, ie, meat eating. This is independent of yagna as meat obtained for food is not necessarily obtained via yagna. Kanchi Paramacharya , shastras, and common practice have accepted meat eating for many jaathis in the 4 Varnas. However, sanyasis, most Braahmana and Vaishya males are veg as per shstras. For others who are veg, it is not mandatory, rather choice but of higher merit. Just as using flour images instead of animals in yagna.

Is there any Shastric reference that gives exception to the statement that meat eating is a paapam. hence allowing those jaathis to eat meat without dosha?

Ravi Chandrasekhara

Sent from my iPhone