[Advaita-l] Inter Religious Dialogue - Part 1

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:43:37 CST 2011

Namaste
It is only fair that we do not tar every scholar with the same brush.
Francis Clooney's sympathetic protrayal of Vaishnavism is on the
record.  As for any hidden agenda, we have to be careful about
concluding anything hastily in this particular case.  Sir John
Woodrofe's works on Tantra are quite insightful and sympathetic to the
tantric tradition.

Its better to see what a given scholar says on the record than
conclude anything on hearsay.

The other side, viz, prejudiced anti-Hindu scholarship seems to be
quite widespread and has been well-documented in the interesting work
"Invading the sacred - An analysis of Hinduism studies in America" by
Krishnan Ramaswamy, Antonio de Nichols and Aditi Banerjee. The
Freudian psycho-analytic evisceration of Hinduism is contrasted with
the kid-glove treatment to Islam and Christianity.

http://invadingthesacred.com/content/view/13/33/

http://invadingthesacred.com/

Its also curious that Islamic theology seems to get a better and more
understanding treatment from western religious scholars than Hinduism,
although Islam has been at loggerheads with the West.  This cartoon is
evocative -

http://invadingthesacred.com/content/view/17/27/

Since, our forum is for Advaita and not primarily for such topics,
this is my last post on this topic.

Om
Raghav