[Advaita-l] Gopuja videos

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 00:39:02 CDT 2011

Namaste

Why do we worship Gods like Vishnu, Siva, Durga and others? Because
they are all praised in the Puranas and Vedas also.

The cows are also praised in Puranas, Vedas and Smruti literature. In
Samudra Manthana Kamdhenu came out like the Moon and Lakshmi.
The Kamadhenu is well known for giving all boons to everyone. The
daughter cow Nandini of Kashyapa and Surabhi lived in Vasistha's
Ashrama. We know in the battle with Vishwamitra the cow brought out
soldiers and defeated Vishwamitra.

Like these there are many stories praising cows. In Vedas also cows
are praised. That is why we worship cows. Goats buffalos and camels
also give milk. We must respect them also. But there are no stories of
them in our sacred texts . No need to worship them.

2011/11/3 Raghav Kumar <raghavkumar00 at gmail.com>:
> Is there any well-articulated, preferably rhetorical and witty answer
> to the question -
> "Why do Hindus worship the "holy"cow?"
> The answer should factor in objections like "buffalo and goat milk too
> is drunk but these animals do not occupy the same place in Hindu
> consciousness", and "an ox is not given the same kind of treatment as
> a cow in terms of worship and hyms etc".
>
> Om
> Raghav
>
>  2011/11/3 Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>:
>> Namaste
>>
>> Two videos show how to do cow Puja-
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSuXLDDtqo&NR=1
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/deshbhakta#p/search/0/YwwPUb7lSRU
>>
>> सुरभिस्त्वं जगन्मातर्देवि विष्णुपदे स्थिता ।
>> सर्वदेवमये ग्रासं मयादत्तमिमं ग्रस ।
>> गावो मे मातरः सन्तु पितरः सन्तु गोवृषाः  ।
>> ग्रासमुष्टिं मया दत्तां प्रतिग्र्ह्णन्तु मातरः॥ गासम्॥
>>
>> ॥ प्रार्थना ॥
>> गावो ममाग्रतः सन्तु गावो मे सन्तु पृष्ठतः ।
>> गावो मे हृदये नित्यं गवां मध्ये वसाम्यहम् ।
>> सुरभिस्त्वं जगन्मातर्नित्यं विष्णुपदे स्थिते ।
>> सर्वदेवमये देवि सर्वदेवैरलंकृते ।
>> मातर्ममाभिलषितं सफलं कुरु नन्दिनि ॥
>>

>> --
>> Regards