[Advaita-l] Mandukyopanishad for Sanyasis

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue May 31 23:49:10 CDT 2011

Dear Mahadevanji,

/////
If it is MundakOpanishad, in a way, this is may be according to one sampradaya.  I believe this Atharva Veda Upanishad got this name, because,  the seeking disciple who wishes to learn this truth,  needed to remain Vrath by remaining shaving his head (Mundaka:)  and on completion of the Vrata,  hee needs to approach the teacher with a Mud Pot containing coal ambers in his Head and prostrate to the Guru, expressing his desire to learn this ultimate truth.

May be he wanted to observe a bit of this sampradaya

//

This is the "sirOvrata" of Atharva Veda.  I think, this vrata in its literal sense has been
refuted by Acharya Sankara in his Brahma Sutra Bhashya (somewhere in 3rd Section).

regs,
sriram