[Advaita-l] Can a mithyA-vastu produce an effect? असत्यवस्तुनः अर्थक्रियाकारित्वम्

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:23:44 CDT 2011

2011/5/20 Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>

> Namaste
>
> Here the Sribhashya Page 120 has arguments for actually silver-ness in
> a shell.  In Purva Mimamsa they say when Soma plant is not available
> Putika sprouts can be used Somaabhave Putikagrahanam Sruticoditam
> because in Putika there are parts of Soma plant in Putika
> Somavayayavasadbhavaditi Nyayavido Viduhu. Like this there is silver
> in shell. This is known from Sruti only.  Suktadau Rajatadesca Bhavaha
> Srutyaiva Bodhitaha.  There is actual silver in shell. But it is small
> part. There is large part Bhuyastva of shell.  Because of defect in
> eye and so on sometimes we see only silver part in shell and not see
> shell part.  But the Jnana of silver in shell is true - Page 120.

I think the soma-analogy should not be invoked to prove 'everything is in
everything'.  There is a requirement during apara karma for giving rajata
dAnam.  Supposing one is unable to procure silver for any reason it, would
be proper to give a certain quantity of shell as dAnam and accomplish the
rajata daanam.. In fact this alone would be the proper application of the
analogy.   That is how a mimamsa nyaya is applied.

> Regards
subrahmanian.v