[Advaita-l] Difference between Paramatma, Pratyagatma, and Atma

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun May 22 16:20:40 CDT 2011

[With the recent obsessions with trivia, worthy topics of discussion are
being overlooked.  I urge readers to remember this is list is called
advaita-l.]

On Fri, 20 May 2011, shriharsha chatra wrote:

> Please explain me the difference between Paramatma, Pratyagathma, and Atma
> wrt to Brahman.

Atma is ones self.  At the most basic level it is understood as ahamkara
(I-ness or ego.)  But as we ascend in understanding, we realize self means
more than just body and mind. When we speak of that enduring atman while
still embodied we use the term pratyagatman.  Still further we come to
know that all atmas which we thought were separate are indeed the same.
This we call paramatma.

We can approach the process from the opposite direction too.  The One
brahman through the power of maya appears to create, maintain, and destroy
the universe in all its multiplicity including the jivas.  But the
difference in terminology should not obscure that atma and brahman are one
and the same.