[Advaita-l] Fwd: Difference Between Sankya and Advaita!

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun May 22 14:50:40 CDT 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> Sankhya does not disbelieve in an Ishvara (God) either. Sankhya says
> that Ishvara is asiddha, ie. the existence of Ishvara cannot be proved.

which is as good as not believing in Ishvaras existence.  There is no
place for a God-figure in the samkhya system.  Classical Yoga on the other
hand is Samkhya + Ishvara.  But even the Ishvara of the Yoga Sutras is
just a passive spectator of prakrti, a pale imitation of the Vedantic God.

As we have discussed on the list previously, a lot of the confusion has
arisen because the meaning of "samkhya" and "yoga" has changed through the
centuries.

In the earliest stages of Indian culture samkhya and yoga basically meant
"theory" and "practice."  samkhya (literally "enumeration") was the
proto-scientific attempt to describe reality by listing and classifying
its consituents.  This is the type of Samkhya we see in the Gita,
Mokshadharma of Mahabharata, Ayurveda samhitas, Arthashastra, etc.  Yoga
(literally "union") was the various practices developed to encounter the
divine.  Thus we have jnanayoga, karmayoga etc.

Then came the stage of systemization.  Classical samkhya as described in
saMkhyAkArikA, tattvakaumUdi etc.  This is but one variety of samkhya.
The analogy I make is that USA is a democracy but it also has a political
party called Democrats.  All Democrats are democrats but only some
democrats are Democrats.  So classical samkhya ignores Ishvara.  Gita
samkhya does not.  But they are still conceptually related.  Same for
yoga.  We have the aShTA~ngayoga of yogasUtras but also other systems of
yoga.

The third stage is the "Vedantization" of samkhya/yoga.  The texts and
some of the traditions of classical samkhya (such as the divinity of
Kapila) are kept but reinterpreted.  So for instance Ishvara instead of
being just the observer of triguNAtmaka prakR^iti becomes its creator.  It
is this Vedantic version that we know today.

Not understanding the historical evolution of these terms leads to
anachronism and misinterpretation.