[Advaita-l] Mantrapushpam > Vedic Education

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:55:04 CDT 2011

It is always "pada-s" (word) and NOT "paada-s" (quarter-of-a-verse.)
The words are to be pronounced exactly as done in the pada-paatha (in case
of a group of words, the last one will have the exact form as in
padapaatha.) The swara also has certain rules when a sandhi is broken.

When a praSna (a chapter, with the mantra-s grouped as anuvaaka-s; for
example, KY vEda taittirIya samhita first kaanDa has 8 praSna-s) is
initiated, groups of pada-s are recited by the guru with proper breaks
(following correct grammar rules for sandhi break and swara break.) After
10-12 such sessions the student will be able to recite the mantra-s with
supervision from the guru, each group of 50 pada-s. Every such group of 50
pada-s, is chanted 10 times under supervision by the guru. After 10-12 such
sessions, he will be able to memorize the entire pancaaSat groupings
correctly, as also the sequence for the entire praSna. The re-joining of
'phrases' broken for ease of recitation happens almost effortlessly. In case
of any doubts, the teacher helps.

In braahmaNam, instead of 50 pada-s, it will be 10 vaakya-s
(phrase/sentence.) In the case of last grouping of the anuvaaka, the count
of words may be sometimes less than 50, sometimes more.

-Sarma

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM, (Maitreya) Borayin Larios <
shrimaitreya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Venkatesh Murthy,
>
> Thanks for your imput. I am well aware that some mantras are very long and
> that pādas of these can be long. But as far as I am aware the pañcāśat
> breaks are meant for the advanced recitation. After a few rounds of
> memorizing smaller units, gradually they increase the size of the text to
> be
> recited. Ultimately students have to chant the whole chapter (anuvaka) by
> heart, so that the length here would only be a problem if the students had
> to memorize the 50 pādas from the beginning (which is not the case).
> My doubts regarding the count of the 50 words are regarding the mūla
> recitation, which is of course with the words clustered by sandhi. Students
> are not aware of the of the individual words, until they learn padapātha.
> If you have learned the Veda by counting words, could you please explain
> how
> this is done?
>
> Best,
> Maitreya Larios
> --
> विद्या ददाति विनयं विनयाद्याति पात्रताम् ।
> पात्रत्वाद्धनमाप्नोति धनाद्धर्मं ततः सुखम् ॥

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

धन्योस्मि
- श्यामसुन्दर शर्मा
http://anantavaram.blogspot.com