[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's Birth Date

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 14:18:49 CDT 2011

Dear Vidyasankarji,

King Vikramaditya is believed to have had a big territorry but he was not called world-emperor. Tradition has it that he was the person who constructed the Hai-ki-pairi in Hardwar in honour of his step-brothet Bhartrihari and Rajatarangini also has allusions to his reign. I was referring to king Purnavarman or Hala, mentioned by Adi Sankaracharya and he was definitely not an imaginary king. In keeping with the requirement of the panch-lakshana the Puranas are required to keep the genealogies upto-date and that they did faithfully up to the Gupta period. The Vayu purana does mention the king Purnavarmana. Who then is that king Purnavarman, whom Adi Sankaracharya was referring to in the Sutrabhaashya if he was not the Purnavarman, who ruled from Pataliputra in the 6th century BCE?

Then what have you to say on the 44 BCE date given earlier by the Sringeri mutt along with assignment of 700 years to Sureshwaracharya (presumably all the Mathadhipatis during that 700 year  period were called Sureshvaracharya or it could be tha their names were lost?  The question arises as to why and at whose behest  the 44 BCE date  was withdrawn and Max Muller's date of 788 CE was accepted.

The Dwaraka math has not been able to substatntiate about the copper inscription of Sudhanva. According to them the Archaeological department took the copper inscription in the british times and it may be possible that the inscription may be there in some museums or in British depositories and it is better that we do not talk about it either way until and unless someone finds it. To my knowledge in Gujarat itself there rare several places with their own museums with many old inscriptions.

Asregards the Jina Vijaya it  was an existing text as evidenced by reference to it in the nineteenth century texts prior to the anoouncement of AIT. I have myself read one such text in Pune University library. Unfortunately we do not know whether some Jain scholars dastroyed it as it proved that Lord Buddha preceded Lord Mahavira or some British scholars did it as it opposed the AIT.

Many of us are  still not convinced that the Sringeri Math has been able to establish the 8th century date beyond dispute.

Regards,

Sunil KB