[Advaita-l] Shloka on Vyasa

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:06:30 CDT 2011

I am also hearing/reading for the first time, "aguru" and "madhyagaam."

Understood what you had to say about "madhyagaam." I know "aguru" was a
spelling mistake - you meant just "guru."

Dear Sir,

Madhyagaam - what you said is quite true. But, when you say sadaaSiva
samaarambhaam - you correctly state that the guruparampara originates at
sadaaSiva.
Sankaraachaarya madhyagaam - Agreed, that "madhyagaam" would mean the
parampara has Sankaracharya as "medium."
But frankly, between sadaaSiva and your guru, is there only aadiSankara? Is
aadiSankara spanning the whole medium between sadaaSiva and your guru?

Whereas, "madhyamaam" would place Sankaraachaarya in the "center." A,
fulcrum and an epoch in the parampara.

I don't think we need to be picky about words, more so when the meaning is
not much different, especially being advaitins. The SlOkam that you learned
and use to do smaraNa of the guruparampara is great, and divine.
The SlOkam that I quoted and use, is also equally great and equally divine.

And then, could you please do a simple google search on this SlOkam? How
many are returning "madhyagaam??"

Finally, please read the SlOkam on this page:
http://www.sringeri.net/jagadgurus

-Sarma

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Srikanta Narayanaswami <
srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is a sampradaaya SlOkam. There are various sampradaaya-s and various
> versions.
>
> It is a great SlOkam set in anushTup, to offer namaskaaram to the
> guru-parampara. There are many people who put their guru's name in place of
> "asmadaachaarya" if it sets in the chandas. If it doesn't, they will try to

> As I have said  before,there may be many sampradayas on this shlokah,but it
> should not be distorted to mean in the wrong sense.The composition should
> not give raise to "Apartha".
> N.Srikanta.

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

धन्योस्मि
- श्यामसुन्दर शर्मा
http://anantavaram.blogspot.com