[Advaita-l] shraddhAshraddha

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 05:29:44 CDT 2011

Dear Sri Satish

Telugu is my mother tongue and I have great love towards the language. What you
said about ShraddhA in Telugu is true; however, that does not necessarily mean
that it is the right usage of the word. Words like avakASa (means opportunity in
Telugu and space in Sanskrit), avasara (means necessity in T., context in S. -
also note usages like ayyavasarambuna, meaning simply 'then' or in a more
expanded form of 'in that context' from Nannayya upto Potana), Siksha
(punishment in T., training in S.), pramAda (danger in T., accident in S.),
abhaya (assurance in T., lack of fear in S.) and so on. It is, of course,
true that the rUDhi meaning in Telugu is but one of the senses admissible in
Sanskrit as well; but then one must remember that the linga or rUDhi artha is
always stronger than the vAchya artha. Example: SuSrUshA means care or service
in all Indian languages now, with there being even SuSrUshA Nursing Homes /
Hospitals; the vyutpatti is SrotumicchA SuSrUshA - the desire to listen; so
students who want to learn from their teachers serve the teachers and that is
how the rUDhi artha came.

Second point: this forum considers the definition given by Sankara to be very
important. The SamadamAdi shaTkam plays an important role and SraddhA as defined
there is best translated as 'faith'.

Finally, Apte gives the following meanings: 1. Trust, faith, belief, confidence;
2. Belief in divine relevation, religious faith; 3. Sedatenss, composure of
mind; 4. Intimacy, familiarity; 5. Respect, reverence; 6. Strong of vehement
desire; and 7. The longing of a pregnant woman. And, Monier Williams: faith,
trust, confidence, trustfulness, faithfulness, belief in, ..., trust,
confidence, loyalty, ..., wish, desire, longing for, desire of eating, appetite,
the longing of a pregnant woman, curiosity, purity, respect, reverence, calmnes
or composure of mind, intimacy.

Hope this makes it clear that SraddhA means faith.

Regards
N. Siva Senani