[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 06:09:19 CDT 2011

Namaste Bhaskar Parabhiji:

Could you please explain the following why everything is classified under the term yaj~na?

When the term appears in Veda including some grammatical
thoughts.  Identifying the references is just one part and determine
their corresponding application is another.

Chamaka 10 tells us that all activities are "yaj~na"

aayuryaGYena
kalpataaM . praaNo yaGYena kalpataamapaano yaGYena kalpataaM . vyaano yaGYena kalpataaM chakshuryaGYena kalpataa

shrotraM yaGYena kalpataaM mano yaGYena kalpataaM vaagyaGYena kalpataamaatmaa yaGYena kalpataaM

yaGYo yaGYena kalpataam.h  .. 10..

yaj~na as per nirukta 3.19

yaj~naH kasmaat | prakhyaata.m  yajatirkarma iti nairuktaaH |
yaacno bhavati iti vaa | bahu kR^iShNaajina iti aupamanyavaH | yajuu.mShi ena nayanti iti.vaa

Here
 I have a question to the scholars.  All is clear to me except for the
comment of "Aupamanya's statement is the above? Could I possibly
interpret the term "kR^iShanajina" as black deer-skin? In one does that
then that would mean presence of many Sages (R^iShi) who were sitting on
 the deerskin as an aasana as they were gracing the yaj~na ceremony !?
Just like a modern day conference.

Personally, what I am trying
to understand why those specific "yaj~na" may have been suggested to be
performed in a specific manner.  As all of us know  all text has
"devataa, R^iShi, chhanda" but no one seems to know the "viniyoga"
(upayuktataa) which does appear in various BrahmaNaa's. To determine
this
 "utility", I believe scholars with  expertise in this may be able to
contribute a lot.  I am compiling various smaidhaa's that were used in
various brahmaNa grangtha and find a profound and direct relationship
with the medicinal properties mentioned by Charaka and ShushR^itaa and
VagbhaTTa.

Also, appreciate any elaboration of the vi~naanam yaj~nam tanut karmaaNi taute pi ca ||  (tai. upa 2.5.5.1)

Any one having any specific information about
documentation of "viniyoga" please contact me off-list as the discussion
 may be beyond the scope of this list.

Best regards,

Dr. Yadu