[Advaita-l] Sri Hemadri Kruta Chaturvarga Chintamani

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Mar 8 15:33:40 CST 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Sriram Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Namaste,
> Sri Hemadri Kruta Chaturvarga Chintamani is available in the following link

The links given by Shriramji to DLI are to the danakhanda
only.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the library and I looked
for the other volumes of the chaturvargachintamani.  Unfortunately they
have gone missing or have been misfiled or something.  I did come across
another interesting book which actually may have been the original source
I used.  It is an old Nirnaya Sagar edition of the
Vajasaneyi Samhita of the Shuklayajurveda and after the title page, there
is a woodcut of "hemAdrikR^itachaturvargachintAmaNau vratakhaNDe
vishvakarmashAstravAkyAt veda svarUpANi"  I have uploaded it at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50305928/veda-murtis (caution: its a 3MB file.)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Venkata sriram P wrote:

> A slight correction here.  The head of the divine being IMO is donkey instead
>
> Here is the pramANa:
>
> rigvEdaH shvEtavarNasyAt dvibhujO rAsabhAnanH
> akShamAlAdhara saumyaH prItO vyAkhyApanOdyataH //

You are right.  The shloka for the R^igveda says rAsabhAnanaH.  Also the
picture looks more like a donkey than a bull.  The mudra is given as
adhyayana not vyAkhyana but it can be considered a synonym.

I find it interesting that the source for these comes from vishvakarma
(i.e. shilpa) shastra.  Are there are any mandirs in India that actually
have such murtis?