[Advaita-l] A vichAra on the word "nArAyaNi"

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:42:51 CST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Venkata sriram P <venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>wrote:

> Also,in “lalitOpAkhyAna”, at the time of the celestial marriage of
> Kameshwara & Kameshwari, kanyAdAna was performed by Vishnu, being Her
> sahOdara and She was addressed as “nArAyaNi”.

See this image:

http://mipriest.com/images/wedding.jpg

(Picture of MeenAkshi being wedded to Sundarewarar (Madurai) as ViShNu is
doing the kanyAdAnam)

In the Tamil culture, they regard Subrahmanya (Murugan) as the nephew of
ViShNu: tirumAl marugan (son-in-law of ViShNu).

In 'shivAShTottara' there is a nAma: viShNuvallabhAya namaH.

In my original post on this topic I had quoted from two Tamil poetic works.
For the benefit of those who do not know Tamil, I am giving the meaning of
the highlighted portions thereof:

(i) Divya Prabandham 1186: (Tirumangai Azhwaar)
திருமங்கையாழ்வார்:

'*பிறைதங்கு சடையானை வலத்தே வைத்துப்

//The One (Hari) who has on His right side the One (Hara) Who sports the
crescent moon on His matted locks.//
*
*
*(ii) Thirumarai 6-81-8:

திருநாவுக்கரசர் தேவாரம்: (The Shaivaite Saint TirunAvukkarasar also known as
'appar'.)

*குடமாடி யிடமாகக் கொண்டான் கண்டாய்* (?)

//The One (Shiva) who has to His left side the 'kuDamADi' (ViShNu)//

Learned members may specify the meaning of this Tamil term: 'kuDamADi'.  I
found one meaning thus: kuDam ADi = performing kuDakkoottu (
http://www.srivaishnavan.com/upload2.9/mudaltiruvandadi6.pdf)

It looks like a kind of dance that Vishnu (as Krishna) performed. More
information is welcome.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v