[Advaita-l] Mantra, Brahmana, Mimamsa and Vedanta (was RE: How to read puranas)

ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli shankarabharadwaj at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 13:09:37 CDT 2011

Namaste,

"The distinction between saMhitA and brAhmaNa is well established even prior to
any pUrva mImAMsA analysis or interpretation of the veda texts."

Yes, not just samhita and brAhmaNa but even araNyaka was a well known
classification by the time mImAMsa came, so my point is there is no reason for
it to not explicitly use the classification given by sruti itself, unless *it
does not consider that portion for its analysis as the apourusheya pramANa*. I
do not know of any exclusive araNyaka portion (that does not overlap with
brAhmaNa/samhita) used by mImAMsa in the sense of apourusheya.

"Mantra (or saMhitA) vs. brAhmaNa (and/or AraNyaka) are content descriptors and
should be clearly distinguished from the pUrva mImAMsA categories of vidhi and
arthavAda. There can be arthavAda in both the mantra portions and the brAhmaNa
or the AraNyaka portions. And vidhi-s are rarely found in the mantra portions of
the veda. They are more often found in the brAhmaNa or AraNyaka portions."

Agreed. I did not mean to classify samhita-brahmana-aranyaka as
mantra-vidhi/nishedha-arthavAda.

"The sUrya namaskAra is a smArta karmA, not Srauta karmA."

Yes, and that is the point. Srauta karma has authority in samhita, brAhmaNa or
srauta sUtras. I am not aware of any srauta karma that derives authority from
Aranyaka portion alone. There are several smArta rituals that take namesake
authority from araNyaka/upanishad. I am not at all questioning the validity of
the ritual itself, only talking of whether karma mImAMsa is relevant there or
not.

Pl feel free to correct me if it is not so.

Shankar

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:40:32 CDT 2011
________________________________

  Changing the subject line - I think a few clarifications are in order here.
> "Brahmana is in its widest sense any part of shruti which is not mantra. " >
> This makes sense, especially if we read significant parts of Aranyaka as  >
arthavAda without attaching it to the guna/artha karma. However the  >
classification of Aranyaka predates mImAmsa and there is no reason why the  >
entire non-samhita must be treated as brAhmana.  >  >  > The question is whether
mImAmsa cares for anything that is arthavAda for the  > sake of it, I guess not.
It is more utilitarian in it view, explicitly saying  > the reason why the
mantra exists and why the other portions of veda exist (all  > for the sake of
yajna). From this viewpoint I do not think mImAmsa has any real  > reason to
worry about the entire upanishad-aranyaka part.  >   The distinction between
saMhitA and brAhmaNa is well established even prior to any pUrva mImAMsA
analysis or interpretation of the veda texts. Indeed, the primary distinction
between the kRshNa yajurveda and the Sukla yajurveda in terms of content is that
in the former, the mantra and brAhmaNa portions are found interspersed with each
other, whereas in the latter, they are demarcated very explicitly in their
internal  arrangement. Whether a given text is called saMhitA or mantra or
brAhmaNa or AraNyaka or upanishad or some combination of these terms(*) is a
matter of context and varies from veda to veda, or even SAkhA to SAkhA. A text
is called AraNyaka only because it was originally meant to be learnt in the
forest, not in the village/settlement. These distinctions of where one must
learn a text have not been strictly followed for a long time now. The term
upanishat is given to a text that contains teachings about brahmajnAna and/or
upAsana-s leading to jnAna.   Mantra (or saMhitA) vs. brAhmaNa (and/or AraNyaka)
are content descriptors and should be clearly distinguished from the pUrva
mImAMsA categories of vidhi and arthavAda. There can be arthavAda in both the
mantra portions and the brAhmaNa or the AraNyaka portions. And vidhi-s are
rarely found in the mantra portions of the veda. They are more often found in
the brAhmaNa or AraNyaka portions.  e.g. atha tam agnim indhIta/AdadhIta,
audumbarIbhis samidbhir agniM paricaret,  uddhRta paripUtAbhir adbhiH kAryaM
kurvIta, na nishThIvet, na vivasanas snAyAt - these are vidhi-s in the first
chapter of the taittirIya AraNyaka, also called the aruNa praSna. There are many
more vidhi-s found in various contexts in this one AraNyaka chapter itself.
Inasmuch as pUrva mImAMsA has to worry about what is a vidhi, what type of vidhi
it is, etc., it has to very much worry about the texts traditionally labeled as
AraNyaka or upanishad or brAhmaNa. Much of the content in these texts is indeed
described as arthavAda, but the vidhi-s are right there in the middle of the
rest. A lot of careful attention is therefore paid in the PM analysis to the
exact wording of sentences, what grammatical tense or mood is used, whether
there is an implicit vidhi or not, even when an imperative or optative verbal
construction is not employed, etc.   Indeed, as far as textual analysis is
concerned, the key point where vedAnta parts company with pUrva mImAMsA, is over
the question of a vidhi to renounce all action. PM says that by definition a
vidhi can only impel one to perform a new act (apUrva vidhi) or tell us how to
do it (niyama vidhi) or how not to do it (parisaMkhyA vidhi). Vedanta, at least
in the advaita tradition, says that a vidhi can also impel one to renounce all
action, and indeed the bRhadAraNyaka upanishat 4.4.22 does contain a vidhi to
renounce. The discussion on this point is found in brahmasUtra bhAshya 3.4.27,
where SankarAcArya points out that the mAdhyandina pATha has the word paSyet,
conveying an explicit injunction, as compared to the word paSyati in the kANva
pATha. In the bRhadAraNyaka bhAshya 4.4.22, he interprets the word pravrajanti
as pravrajeyuH, and takes it as an injunction to renounce action.   > "But
suryanamaskara etc. definitely fall under the purview of karma and  > therefore
PM." >  > The sUrya namaskAra itself is karma, but the mantra bhAga under
discussion is  > the Aruna pAtha which is by definition not associated with
karma. Esp when there  > is no brAhmana that associates the pAtha with
namaskAra/Asana/kriya.   The sUrya namaskAra is a smArta karmA, not Srauta
karmA. As done nowadays, with recitation of the aruNa praSna, it may well be a
recent regional innovation (relatively speaking). One would be hard pressed to
find a brAhmaNa sentence ordaining or praising the vast majority of smArta karmA
rituals. Much of this is just to be taken as part of SishTAcAra.    It should
also be remembered that svAdhyAya-pravacana of the entire veda or portions of
it, involving ritual recitation, is in itself a karmA. As such, recitation of a
chapter from the taittirIya AraNyaka, whether by itself or in combination with a
sUrya namaskAra practice, would seem to fall comfortably under the general
injunction to study, preserve and transmit the veda (svAdhyAya-pravacanAbhyAn na
pramaditavyam). And there is also arthavAda in praise of this general karmA
(svAdhyAya-pravacane eveti nAko maudgalyaH, taddhi tapas taddhi tapaH).
Regards, Vidyasankar                   * Although most texts called upanishat
are in the brAhmaNa/AraNyaka texts, they are also found in the saMhitA portions.
The most famous example is the ISAvAsya text, which is entirely within the Sukla
yajurveda saMhitA.