[Advaita-l] Sankhyathrayam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:14:47 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Mahadevan Babu <babunim at optushome.com.au>wrote:

> > Sri Gurubyo Namaha !
>
> Can one of the learned Pundits please give me the details on the 3
> different principles of Sankhyam.
> I see it comes in the Bridhavali of Sringeri Acharyals, where HE is adorned
> as " sAnKhyathraya-prathipAdhaka  ".
>
> What are the 3 schools of sAnkhyam mentioned here please.
>
> Dhanyavaadah
>
> Hari Om
> M.Babu

The wording found in the Panchaangam is:

सकलनिगमागमसारहृदय-सांख्यत्रयप्रतिपादक-
(as found in the sringeri mutt website
http://www.sringeri.net/2009/12/29/stotra/guru/guru-vandanam.htm)

This is a guess:

I think this refers to the prasthAnatraya consisting of the Upanishads, the
Brahmasutras and the Bhagavadgita.  These constitute the essence, the heart,
of the entire Vedic lore.  'Saankhya' refers to Vedanta jnAna as is found in
the 2nd chapter of the Bh.Gita: sAnkhyayogaH.

Maybe more appropriate explanations will be given by others.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v