[Advaita-l] Vivekananda

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:01:39 CDT 2011

*sadaachaaram* is '*karma*' that would lead to *jnaana* if practiced with
trikaraNa Sudhdhi. For a real *karmayOgi*, *sadaachaaram* is as soulful an
act as anything else. The '*karma*-s' or rather 'practices of life'
(including *sadaachaaram* and sometimes apparent *duraachaaram*-s) may stick
on to such *karmayOgi* (and not the *karmayOgi* sticking to them) due to *
vaasana*-s of the *upaadhi* (body-mind-intellect.)

We see strange habits and strange outlook over mundane matters, in some of
the realized souls. Our interest should be solely in receiving their
preaching of *advaita-vEdaantam*.

-Sarma

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Srikanta Narayanaswami <
srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think, in the 'complete works' series it is mentioned somewhere & I
> vaguely remember that in his letters to disciples, swamiji himself
> admitted that to withstand severe cold at foreign land he had to change
> his diet and consumed beef & chain smoking !!  But not sure of the exact
> reference & words..Most of the people are of the opinion based on his
> writings & speech that he was not a good friend of brAhmins & never
> hesitate to criticize their AchAra-vichAra.  But, despite all these
> allegations, we must say swamiji, even today,  one of the most noted
> personalities in the history of bhArateeya adhyAtmika paraMpara.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

> I have not read of Vivekananda eating beef,but he consumed meat,so also
> Ramakrishna,but he
> smoked cigars of very fine brand like cuban cigars.When Vivekananda visited
> Mysore during the
> rule of Mummadi Krisnaraja Wodeyar to raise funds for his travel to America
> to attend the International conference of world religions and make his
> famous speech at Chicago,he stayed at the building which is now famous which
> is called Sadvidya shala,which has now grown into a college at Mysore near
> Ramavilas Road.A statue has been planned to be installed to commemorate his
> visit to Mysore and stay in this building.A servant was posted to look after
> Vivekananda and attend his needs by the Divan,Sir Sheshadri
> Iyer.Once,Vivekananda expressed his interest to look around Mysore,which had
> few streets then,,and the servant took him to the Market street.The servant
> enquired what the Swamiji wanted in the Market.?Vivekananda asked the
> servant to buy him a good cigar to smoke.The Chicago speech which made the
> westerners to sit up and look,is now part of history,and perhaps will be
> forgotten by the coming generations,but the city of Mysore will ever feel
> proud,and
>  cherish the memory of Swamiji forever.
> N.Srikanta.

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

धन्योस्मि
- श्यामसुन्दर शर्मा
http://anantavaram.blogspot.com