[Advaita-l] ANOTHER QUESTION ON RV AND VEDANTA ROOTS...

anselmo hernandez elmo_terbutilo at yahoo.com.mx
Fri Jul 15 11:24:03 CDT 2011

Dear Friends:
Namaste ¡

I have been reading a translation of the “asya vAmasya” hymn RV I.164, from Dr.c. Kunhan Raja (Asya VAmasya Hymn: the riddle of the universe. Ganesh & Co., Madras), and I found that this author says the next concerning the roots of vedAnta:

In respect the verse RV I.164.20, he translates as:
“Two birds, comrades united to each other, resort to a common tree. Of the two, one eats the tasty berry; the other, without eating, looks on”.
And comment upon:
“This verse is accepted as the foundation of the VedAnta Philosophy dealing with the nature of the Soul, both individual and supreme and their relation mutually. The individual souls eat (enjoy and suffer) while the supreme soul just shines. But this is not supported by the general trend of thought in the Rgveda. There is no hint of a Supreme Self in contrast to the individual souls, in the Rgveda… (pp.36-7)
And, in respect verse RV I.164.46, he translates as:
“They speak of Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Fire; then he is the heavenly bird with wings. What is one, poets speak of in many ways; they speak of Agni, Yama, MAtarisvan”.
And comment upon:
“There is no indication of Monism in this. At best there is only an indication of Monotheism…” (pp. 77-78)
So, I would like to hear your opinions about whether the vedAnta roots are able to be found in the RV or not, and in what measure we could be certain of that?
Moreover, does anybody know something about AtmAnanda? Its seems to be an expounder of Sayana. He is mention in this book also, and interprets the word “suhasta” [found in verse RV I.164.26] to mean ShankarAcarya (p.47).
Before hand, thanks a lot for your comments ¡
Sincerly yours,
Anselmo Hernández