[Advaita-l] jIrNa yajnOpavIta visarjana

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Wed Jul 13 06:26:39 CDT 2011

Dear viprAs,

I have a doubt regarding the jIrNa yajnOpavIta visarjana.

I have seen two sections of people.  One section is following the method of removal of
soiled yajnOpavita from upwards.  The other section from downwards.

As far as i know, when the soiled yajnOpavita is disposed off in river, then the method of
removal is upward.  When the yajnOpavita is disposed off at the tulasi plant, the method
followed of removal is downwards.

Is there any pramANa for the above method of removal in any dharma sastra?

After removal, should the yajnOpavita be torn into pieces?

Request the members to quote with requisite sAstra pramANa.

regs,
sriram