[Advaita-l] विशिष्टतिथयः Special days

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 05:19:38 CDT 2011

श्रीगुरुभ्यो नमः

In our Vedic tradition every day is supposed to be a special day.  Special
for remembering Ishwara, doing one or the other type of observation, tapas
and be in tune with divinity.  The elders have specified several days in the
calendar as auspicious for one or the other thing.  Hence we have several
types of 'ekAdashi's like वैकुण्ठ एकादशी, प्रथमैकादशी, शयन-एकादशी, etc.  For
dvadashI too there are some special days like उत्थानद्वादशी, साधनिद्वादशी
(what is this? is the name correct?), etc.  So with tRteeyaa, chatuthI,
panchamI, etc.

In order to have all of these in one place, I request the learned members to
contribute what they know to this thread.  In the alternative, someone could
prepare a comprehensive list of all these and make it available at the
List's website. Details of:

   1. Name of the tithi (special name like अक्षयतृतीया, शीर्याळषष्ठी..)
   2. Its significance, in brief
   3. Its occurrence approximately according to the Roman calendar
   4. How it is observed
   5. There are so  many cultures within the Hindu religion in our country
   and the observances too might differ across the cultures/regions.

With these broad heads, members could give their inputs. No debate is
intended.  I think the above information will be useful to practitioners of
Sanatana Dharma, the Vedic religion.  Some who have not heard of certain
special days could be enthused to observe them, to the extent possible,
यथाशक्ति, after knowing from the inputs.

Says the Lord in the Bh.Gita:

यज्ञदानतपःकर्म न त्याज्यं कार्यमेव तत्।
यज्ञो दानं तपश्चैव पावनानि मनीषिणाम्॥१८- ५॥

These observances are purificatory in nature giving rise to chittashuddhi.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v